Cаse Study Orаl Rehydratiоn Therapy
This case highlights the puzzlingly high rate of diarrhea-related child mortality in developing countries despite the existence of a simple, effective treatment: oral rehydration therapy (ORT). ORT treated extreme dehydration caused by diarrhea, which was a leading cause of death among young children in developing countries, particularly in Africa and Asia. Heralded in the 1970s as one of the most important medical advancements of the 20th century, ORT contributed to a reduction in diarrhea-related child deaths from roughly 4.5 million in 1980 to 1.5 million in 2000. Yet for reasons unclear to the global public health community, the mortality rate stalled at around 1.5 million, where it remained in 2010.
For this assignment Please read the case and respond to the following items:
(1) Describe the global problem of diarrhea-related death among young children.
(2) What is ORT and what has its effect been on diarrhea-related deaths among young children?
(3) Describe and analyze the possible causes of low ORT utilization in the past few years.
(4) Describe 7-point plan proposed in the case study. What do you consider to be the pros and cons of the plan as presented?
(5) Based on your study of this case and additional readings, develop a multicomponent ORT plan for use in a country or region of your choice. Your plan should be multilevel to the extent possible and use the socioecological model. You may include components of the 7-point plan but it is not necessary. Please include the following:
• Describe and support each component of your model. Note: You may want to include a drawing.
• Factor in issues such as, health literacy and cultural issues of the population of the country you are designing the program for.
• How would you implement your program? What partners would you need to support and implement the program?
• What challenges do you believe you would face? How would you approach and try to solve them?
Note: Feel free to draw from other innovative and successful programs but be sure to cite them.
In addition to information provided in the case, utilize scientific journals, textbooks, lectures, reliable websites (e.g. CDC, WHO, etc.) to support your work.
Use a minimum of 12 references; use in-text citations. Your final paper should be 10-11 pages.
The post Oral Rehydration Therapy
Assignment status: Solved by our experts