Fear and Governmentality •
What is the “War on Terror”?
– Both military and non-military practices,
led by the US, with the purported purpose of combating or eliminating the
threat posed by al Qaeda (then) but now also ISIS etc.
– Goal of eliminating terrorism, but in
particular, terrorism committed by those purporting to be doing so in the name
• What distinguishes the “War on
Terror” from the Cold War or from WW1 and WW2?
• Not state-to-state
• Enemy is not clearly defined
• End goal is not clearly defined
• Military “solutions” to
• What is “Security”?
• Security is an essentially
• What is to be “secured” and how?
• State security?
• Human security?
• Security as a relational concept
rather than a concrete condition
The post What is the “War on Terror”?
Assignment status: Solved by our experts