The objective of this Assessment is to build уour understаnding of project initiаtion and planning processes, tools, techniques, and issues.
You are required to prepare a critical analysis and review of current research in a specific topic area associated with project initiation and planning.
The following list is provided to assist you to identify ONE topic for your critical analysis:
• Project identification, prioritisation, and selection processes.
• Project Management Office role in project initiation and planning.
• Strategic v tactical PMO.
• Program management and its role in project initiation and planning phases.
• Project integration processes during project initiation and planning.
• Traditional (waterfall) versus agile project management initiation and planning.
• Project scope.
• Project governance.
• Project steering committee.
• Individual and group decision making biases that impact project selection.
• Project team capability requirements & planning.
• Project time, resource, and cost estimation.
• Estimation quality standards
• Sourcing and procurement planning.
• Value improving processes (VIP) associated with the planning phase.
• Reducing the risk of cost under-estimation during the planning phase.
• Front-End Engineering & Design (FEED) practices in construction projects.
• Impacts of contract type on project planning in construction projects.
• Document management planning.
• Needs and requirements analysis and traceability.
• Cost engineering practices during the planning phase.
• Project manager capability requirements in IT transformation projects.
• Accounting and financial structures to support project initiation and planning.
• Project management information systems.
• Project planning pitfalls.
• Use of social media in project initiation and planning phases.
• Stakeholder management requirements during initiation and planning phases.
• Business case development to justify project investment.
• Operational readiness planning.
• “Front-end loading” (FEL) methods used in megaprojects (capital cost >$500M).
Topic choice is not limited to this list and students are encouraged to identify and develop their own areas of interest.
Topic selection criteria:
• The topic must focus on the project initiation and/or planning phase.
• There must be sufficient coverage of the topic in the published academic literature (at least
10 unique research publications).
• The topic area should be current and active – i.e., sufficient publications in the last 5 years.
Students will be required to submit a brief description of their intended topic for approval by the end of week 2 to ensure their selection is suitable. Please ensure you send the proposal to your Unit Facilitator by email in a timely manner.
All students should check their topic areas using the selection criteria (above) – even if they obtained their topic from the list provided!
The final report should have the following structure:
Cover Sheet – with student name and number, title of project, date submitted, word countExecutive SummaryTable of ContentsIntroductionCurrent research (a description of the research you have identified in association with your topic area and the general themes associated with this research).Review and critical analysis of Theme 1.Review and critical analysis of Theme 2.Review and critical analysis of Theme N (you may have 3 or more themes and these should be discussed in separate sections).Evaluation and conclusions (does the available research provide sufficient insight into the issue? What are the gaps – and therefore, can you suggest areas that could also be explored?).Appendices (if required)
Total word count: 2,000 words (excluding executive summary, tables, references, and appendices)
The post You are required to prepare a critical analysis and review of current research in a specific topic area associated with project initiation and planning.
Assignment status: Solved by our experts