Evaluate the ways in which Brown & Eisenhardt deal with the methodological issues in the literature they survey.
Tutorial 2: How to Do a Literature Review
The task for this session, which must be done before the tutorial, is to read the assigned paper and come to the class prepared to answer the questions below.
The paper for this week is:
Brown, S.L. and Eisenhardt, K.M. (1995). Product development: Past research, present findings, and future directions. Academy of Management Review. 20, pp. 343-378
This is available via the library website (search for it using the author and title). Download the electronic version in .pdf format, print it out, and bring the hard copy to the tutorial. It is important you have access to a hard (preferably) or soft copy during the tutorial.
You will need this paper again for tutorial 4 so please keep your copy.
In advance of the tutorial, read the paper. Complete a minimum of two sides of A4 notes on the paper (of which a minimum of one side should be on the questions below – make sure you keep the notes for your Portfolio/Learning Journal). Come to the tutorial prepared to discuss the following questions:
1. What were Brown & Eisenhardt’s aims in this review? How do these fit with the main general aims of a literature review (see the lecture)?
2. Describe the way in which the authors have structured their paper. What is the logic behind their approach?
3. Identify the ‘streams’ they use to structure the main body of the review. What other ways could they have used to organise this material?
4. Evaluate the ways in which Brown & Eisenhardt deal with the methodological issues in the literature they survey. Do they treat methodology separately or as they go along?
5. Work through the introduction to the paper in detail and identify the sub-structure of this section. What is the purpose of each paragraph?
6. What lessons can you take from the paper to help you conduct and structure your own literature review? Note: this should generate a list of at least 8 points (and fewer points may lose you marks in the learning journal).
The post Evaluate the ways in which Brown & Eisenhardt deal with the methodological issues in the literature they survey. appeared first on ExpertCustomWritings.
Assignment status: Solved by our experts