The research paper, due in Module 5, has two parts. First, you will analyze the background of your congressional district and your U.S. Representative. Second, you will analyze the political background of your state and one of you U.S. Senators. You may choose which senator to study. I live in Trenton, New Jersey
Begin by reviewing the lecture on “Becoming an informed voter.” The example of Congressman Bob Goodlatte of Virginia is used. If you live in the Sixth Congressional District of Virginia, you will have to adopt another Virginia congressional district as your temporary home and write about that one, since I have already given some of the information on Bob Goodlatte.
Using information from Almanac of American Politics or Politics in America, and Project Vote Smart at www.vote-smart.org, you will write an essay with two parts. The first part will deal with your congressional district and congressman; the second will deal with your state and senator.
This essay will address a number of questions:
• What is the political history of your district and state?
• How have they voted in recent presidential and congressional elections?
• Can your district or state be considered to be leaning Republican or leaning Democratic?
• Are the parties relatively even or does one party dominate the elections?
• Does your district have a long tradition of supporting one party or has it been changing in recent years?
• How did your representative and senator come to power?
• Describe their backgrounds.
• How do the interest groups (ADA, ACLU, ACU, CC) rate your representative and senator?
• Based on these ratings would you classify your representative and senator as conservative or liberal? Justify your answer.
The purpose of these papers is to provide practical application of material learned by developing concepts presented in the lectures. Each paper should be approximately five (5) pages in length (double-spaced, 12-pt font) and demonstrate mastery of material from the lectures as well as presentation of factual material. Specifics about the papers are covered in the attached documents. Do not attempt to write the papers without carefully studying the related lectures. Naturally, stylistic points such grammar and spelling will be considered in grading. Both papers should appear in APA format.
The post Becoming an informed voter- Researching your congressional delegation
Assignment status: Solved by our experts