– a production manager wants to produce a particular amount of a product today and so needs certain amounts of different materials, so they are in the correct proportion. Deciding how much of each material he needs to obtain for this amount of the final product could be seen as a simple (arithmetic) puzzle. How many classrooms do we need to timetable for a certain number of students?
– one of the lorries a business owns won’t start – finding out what is wrong and fixing it is a puzzle.
– getting or fitting a number of a company’s products into a crate or box to transport is a puzzle.
– What is the optimal or most efficient way for a supermarket chain to deliver its products to all of its stores – so how many depots or distribution centres does it need and where to locate them? A “problem”.
– what is the most efficient or optimal route to take for a lorry to deliver goods to a number of stores in particular locations? This is a “problem”.
– there are different costs, prices and probabilities or chances of success or sales for different cars that a company produces – deciding how much of each to produce and sell is a problem.
All major business strategies or plans / complex business decisions
Decline of the High Street / problems facing big stores
Drop in demand for Jaguar Land Rover’s vehicles
Uncertainties of Brexit facing UK business
Damage to a company’ reputation and share price when facing a big lawsuit eg drugs company
US /China arguments and impact on trade
Current coronavirus pandemic and impact on everything – population, health, health services, care homes, employment, the economy
Lack of funding for UK prison service
Lack of police officers on UK streets
Huawei’s close links with Chinese Government and implications for UK 5G network
Iran / US /UK / Germany / France disagreement
Conflict / fighting / war in Algeria, Yemen
Refugees coming to Europe seeking asylum
Knife crime / violence / murders in London
Increasing costs of health and social care with ageing populations
Cost of housing in some parts of the UK eg South East
Western World’s Problem of Obesity
Global Warming / Climate Change
The post Examples of Puzzles, Problems and Messes for the exam
Assignment status: Solved by our experts