Yellow Wallpaper outline
Thesis: Short story “Yellow Wallpaper” is psychological horror story that revolves around Husband and Wife in their house. Story analysis mental health issues and how back in time it was not taken seriously. Jane was forced to act like everything was fine to preserve the image of their happy marriage.
1. How people’s perspective changed towards mental health issues over time.
0. Depression, anxiety was not seen as illness back in time. People would right away call crazy to the person who is going through these issues.
0. They would have been sent to Mental hospitals and drives their mental issues to get even worse. But nowadays people started to realize that these issues can be overcome with right help from others and understanding.
0. In the story, John doesn’t seem to understand the underlying problem with his wife’s behavior. He would shrug it off to idea that his wife might be suffering from depression.
1. The story also portrays the importance of self-understanding on individuals.
0. Jane in the story never seems to be open about her issues and make her voice heard. She couldn’t speak her mind and let others be aware of her problems.
0. Eventually, this loneliness, prisoner in her own mind, she cannot stand to suffer anymore and drives herself mad.
1. The story had horror elements to highlight the importance of mental health issues and people’s view on it.
2. Wallpaper in the room is described as unpleasant to look at with ripped and awful pattern. But then tom the end of the story, it turns into horror element.
2. Narrator towards the ends, goes completely mad and kills herself. In the image, woman hiding behind those unpleasant patterns are shown as horror. But, the message behind them, tries to show the true problem that women were forced to hide behind the untrue happy family image.
Conclusion: “Yellow Wallpaper” is horror short story. Its written in a way that through psychological horror elements, author is trying to show the readers the importance of mental health issues and how it can affect the family.
Assignment status: Solved by our experts